1. Long ago, we drove in the woods.
2. It was night. My mother was at the wheel, the headlights conjuring shape-shifting wraiths drifting in the darkness.
3. Something flashed like a curse. We stopped.
4. My mother walked in front of the car.
5. I watched through the windshield.
6. It started with her ears. Twitching and lengthening. The back, bowed and bent and balled. The hair, swallowing her bare skin, her arms, her legs, her head, and her whole body, everything shrinking and shaking and shining.
7. She looked back at me, eyes mad and wild and alive.